[CentOS-devel] Status of CentOS 5 for the i586?

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Fri Jun 3 15:02:06 UTC 2011

On 06/03/2011 03:39 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Friday, June 03, 2011 09:31:55 AM Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> looks like a case is building to start considering next-steps in getting
>> a i586 repo/ in place !
>
> How might such a repo be handled, in terms of development?

Let me get a potential plan/proposal together. It would need to be
something that can stay in sync with the main os/ and updates/ builds as
a minimum. Although we can perhaps run with a more relaxed test/release
process.

> Also, there are other 'secondary' architectures that have somewhat languished, including SPARC and IA64.  I have interest, and hardware, for both of those.

there is actually an ia64 build that runs in parallel with the x86_64 C5
stream.... And there has been a fair bit of work done on Sparc for c6.
Lets work on getting a plan together for these 'extra' archs using the
i586 target as a model - we can then expand that to include other arch's
as well.

I'm also working on bringing in more resources towards the
build/test/release infrastructure over the next few months. Lets see how
that goes.

> And while I further know that the project wouldn't sign packages that I built here, I would still build packages here for my own purposes anyway.

If the development process can churn via patches that get some sort of
peer review, I dont see why the build+sign cant happen inside a centos
builder instance. There is hardware for ia64/i586/sparc available. Keys
are still something to look at further down the road.

> So having somewhat of a really high-level overview of handling of secondary arches would be useful, to more than just me I'm sure.

cool, let me get something together. It will, ofcourse, be a lot easier
in C6 than C4/C5; unless we can migrate the whole c4/c5 buildservices
over to use the event driven stuff in C6

- KB