[CentOS-devel] Status of CentOS 5 for the i586?

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Sun Jun 5 19:43:48 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 06/05/2011 07:38 PM, Dmitry E. Mikhailov wrote:
> By the way, the system can't be installed straight on i586 because of i686
> installer and it's memory requirements which (even for text mode) are hard to

Cody and I are going to try and solve that problem. The hard part is
just identifying where the resources are being used and what is the
minimum we want to deliver for. I don't think 128 or even 256M of ram is
an unreasonable minimum. Atleast for step-1.

> It's hard to use yum also because it needs 64+ MB of RAM just to start doing
> something.

yum's ram usage  dependency is on the repo size to quite an extent, so
it might be possible to regulate that by reducing the packages in the
install repo down to something sensible for a minimal install. maybe 300
or so, and then let yum work post-instal against the main distro repos (
where it can use the sqlite dbs etc )

Also, given that you have been working on this already in the past -
would be great to have you get onboard with this effort!

- KB