[CentOS-devel] CentOS-[56] Continous Release

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Jun 21 13:29:53 UTC 2011

On 06/21/2011 02:02 PM, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
>>    We could then obsolte: that centos-release-CR rpm
>> with the centos-release that comes down the road when the isos/ are in
>> place and the new release announced.
> I am not sure I get this part. Since the packages are not changed ( I
> presume the NEVR remains the same when the packages are moved from CR to
> "stable"), how would this "obsolete" process happen ? I am used to the
> fedora / fedora epel "testing" phase which is basically

so lets take an example:
5.6/os/centos-release-5-6.0.i386.rpm
5.6/os/ < has no centos-release rpm >
5.6/CR/updates/centos-release-CR-5-7.0.i386.rpm ( which only contains
the repo definition for the CR repo )

and when there is a 5.7 :
5.7/os/centos-release-5-7.0.i386.rpm ( with an Obsoletes:
centos-release-CR <= 5-7.0; and drop a copy of this rpm into the 5.6/CR/
repo as well.

Would that work ?

> - packages are first pushed to a testing repo which is not enabled by
> default on client computers
> - after a) enough people test and validate a package or b) enough time
> has passed since the package was pushed to the testing-repo  the package
> can be moved to the stable repo

we could/should do that anyway with the QA repo's - but as we saw in the
past, that sort of testing can be done by a dedicated group of people
fairly quickly when they are doing the testing for the sake of testing
by design.

- KB