[CentOS-devel] Status of CentOS 5 for the i586?

Fri Jun 3 11:08:16 UTC 2011

On 06/03/2011 05:10 AM, Cody Jackson wrote:
> What's the status of the CentOS 5 for the i586 project?

off the top of my head - its not been going anywhere. People have on and
off expressed interest, but never really had the traction to keep up
with it.

> http://wiki.centos.org/Projects/CentOS5PentiumSupport

That seems to be a good place to start the project off from

> link above, I managed to compile an i586 kernel and deploy it on the
> K6 machine, which is now running C5 happily behind me with about 76MB

If you guys want, we can get the project going ( c5-i586 support ) and
get it into a regular / more official channel. The 'challenges' are
going to be :

- Making sure the patchset is sane

- Making sure that we can sync updates between the main centos repos and
the i586 specific one.

- Working out a mechanism that does not need us to reproduce the entire
packageset from the main repo's into the i586 specific ones.

- KB