[CentOS-devel] Status of CentOS 5 for the i586?

Fri Jun 3 21:04:29 UTC 2011
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Friday, June 03, 2011 04:57:13 PM Cody Jackson wrote:
> Wow, I'm glad there's some interest in this.
[snip]
> I can hear by the angry CPU fan on my build server--and writing down a
> step-by-step outline of what I did, which I'll put on the Wiki after
> my errands today.
>
> It turns out I have another machine that can be used for testing:
[snip]
> reproducible. Building the kernel in and of itself was a learning
> exercise, so I'm hoping that I'll be able to learn more as I go along,
> especially in the realm of rpm building; my sources/ directory is
> already getting a bit messy. ;)

Sounds like progress, Cody.  Glad to see you getting in there and getting your hands dirty with doing the work.... and then being willing to take the time and effort to document that work.  Kudos.

> Also, when C6 comes out, I'll happily grab the .src.rpm and see if it
> has a liking for the i586 arch as well.

That one may be much harder, since it currently requires PAE on 32 bit x86, and due to the elimination of the separation between the distributed source tarball and patch bundles.  To the best of my knowledge PAE has never been available on i586, so that issue will have to be addressed (pardon the pun) as well.

Perhaps rebuilding a Fedora kernel that is close to the EL6 kernel could be a useful exercise to see what may need to be patched around, since the whole distribution tarball/patch segregation was tossed out with the EL6 kernels.