[CentOS-devel] CentOS-[56] Continous Release

Tue Jun 21 11:39:30 UTC 2011

On 06/03/2011 12:31 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> The CR rpms will only be available by making a manual choice on the
> machines, so people need to opt-in rather than opt-out. So mass rollout
> should not happen.

I want to push this conversation a bit further and see if we can get
agreement and some ideas on potential courses of exactly how that opt-in
would work as we get ready for 5.7 in the near future, and 6.0 -> 6.1 ->
6.1+updates in the more immediate future.

One option we have is to make the CR repo available on only a few
machines, isolate those from regular mirror.c.o taffic and push a
centos-release-CR rpm that people need to manually install on their
machines to 'opt in'. We could then obsolte: that centos-release-CR rpm
with the centos-release that comes down the road when the isos/ are in
place and the new release announced. This seems to be the cleanest way
to do things. It also means we can clean out the CR rpms once the point
release is published and not need to maintain it forever as a giant well
of rpms.

Thoughts ?

- KB