[CentOS-devel] Why not a fusion between CentOS and SL?

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 24 19:27:33 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 12:57 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:

> The other thing I've always thought should be included in yum is an
> option to ignore packages in a repository newer than a specified
> timestamp.  That would let you update one machine, test everything, then
> update some other set of machines to the tested state even if new
> packages have been introduced to the repositories between the times in
> question.  That might not cover every possible change, but it would be
> better than nothing or having to build snapshot copies of entire
> repositories to avoid new items.

 We've explained why this isn't possible before, but to repeat: There is
no "available from the repo." timestamp, and generating one is
non-trivial to do correctly.

 However, something that should be in the 6.1 yum is that you can do:

# -- Goto test machine
yum update
# Do all your testing to make sure this is good.
# Get the "saved transaction" from the above:
yum -q history addon-info last saved_tx > saved_tx.yumtx

# -- Goto N other machines with a copy of the above
yum load-ts saved_tx.yumtx