[CentOS-devel] Updates from today

Ned Slider

ned at unixmail.co.uk
Fri Mar 4 16:30:34 UTC 2011

On 04/03/11 16:10, Andreas Rogge wrote:
> Am 02.03.2011 23:28, schrieb Karanbir Singh:
>> hi guys,
>>
>> EL5 got a bunch of updates that really need to make it out asap, and
>> while 4.9 settles down - the thinking is to get them released into the
>> 5.5/updates repo. I'll have an exact list of what all is going to make
>> it in the day tomorrow, along with the packages.
>
> isn't putting 5.x packages into a 5.(x-1) repo what fasttrack was once
> intended for?

No, the fasttrack channel/repo was supposed to be a rebuild of the
upstream FasTrack channel, but it never really materialised, at least
not for 5.x.

The choices are to put these 5.6 updates into the 5.5/updates repo and
risk potential breakage in exchange for wider adoption or to put them
into a testing channel where the vast majority of users would likely
never see/deploy them.