[CentOS-devel] Building help

Jason Pyeron

jpyeron at pdinc.us
Mon Mar 21 19:36:46 UTC 2011

This is something I am very familiar with. I have many time worked with redhat
to fix their build requires sections which have not included needed items
producing faulty rebuilds.

> For a simple package where rpmbuild --rebuild pkg.src.rpm is
> sufficient, there's really nothing to the process.
>
> I suspect that while the CentOS team could release some of
> the updates to 5.5 and/or 5.6 even though the full 5.6
> release hasn't occurred yet, these updates are held back in
> the event that an issue is discovered that requires a rebuild
> of a package that was thought to be correct and already

It would be useful create an inprogress repo of those that made it past the
trademark review.

> released.  There really is no provision for 'errata' to
> packages since if upstream releases pkg-1.0-2, CentOS can't
> push out pkg-1.0-3 since that now creates differences between
> upstream.

When it is ready for publishing build it twice:

Release x.y and x.y.0.centosnotbincompat.take.42

Where the centosnotbincompat is excluded from the default repo.