[CentOS-devel] Why not a fusion between CentOS and SL?

Les Mikesell

lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 12:51:30 UTC 2011

On 3/24/11 7:33 AM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 2:12 AM, Manuel Wolfshant
>
>>> Other team members already disclosed two of those, so is there a reason
>>> why not all of them are shared with the Scientific Linux team ?
>> There was no deep secret, just a matter of timming. It was not my answer
>> to give, I wanted to be sure that Johny&  Karanbir take the needed
>> fixing steps first.
>
> I just wanted to make a quick note that you/we are referring to the
> *Alpha* version of SL 5.6. At that stage of the game, chances are that
> they have not gone through all the testing. There are good reasons why
> it is Alpha. I'm not saying the "incompatibility" issue will
> definitely disappear in their Beta but this is just an observation
> most people seem to be overlooking.

Also note that you can't just 'yum update' from those SL alpha versions to the
final release, so even if CentOS did ship alpha/beta versions it wouldn't make
life that much easier.  On the other hand it would be nice if yum knew enough to
do that - or to understand different repositories and be able to always update
from the same source or be told when to switch and reinstall.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com