[CentOS-devel] Why not a fusion between CentOS and SL?

Dag Wieers

dag at wieers.com
Thu Mar 24 13:32:58 UTC 2011

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Also note that you can't just 'yum update' from those SL alpha versions to the
> final release, so even if CentOS did ship alpha/beta versions it wouldn't make
> life that much easier.  On the other hand it would be nice if yum knew enough to
> do that - or to understand different repositories and be able to always update
> from the same source or be told when to switch and reinstall.

Yes, I have contemplated writing two Yum plugins for such cases:

  - to only consider to update packages from the same repository/source or
    in case dependency resolution requires a different course of action, to
    ask the user (no more exclude/include nonsense)

  - to always update to same/newer updates based on build-time, this would
    be absolutely useful for CentOS QA testing where packages are being
    rebuild with the exact same version/release and in those cases you want
    to get the latest build.

If anyone is interested, don't wait for me to implement it as free time is
pretty scarce around here :-/