[CentOS-devel] Updates from today

Thu Mar 10 23:41:45 UTC 2011
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 5:52 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

>>> This is quite sensible. Is this documented anywhere? I'm not finding
>>> it in tne Wiki, but admittedly my Wiki expertise is not absolute.
>>>

>> It has been posted on the FAQ in the first comment here:
>>
>> http://linuxreference.com/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=9
>>
>> (since 2005/5/14)
>>
>> It is also in the Wiki in question #4 text here:
>>
>> http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General
>
> Thanks. It's an answer to somewhat *different* question, so I missed it, but OK.

On review, it's also lacking detail. The use of the "%{dist}" option
in .spec is a wonderful standardization, and of '%{?dist}" even more
effective by the upstream vendor. It really helps allow developers to
set it in their .rpmmacros and use the defaults when they run it
through mock to build production versions, so I *assume* that your
mock environments are not resetting this. Perhaps a mention that "we
prefer to tweak it by editing the .spec files as necessary, and those
modified .spec files are available at publicly accessible source
Subversion mirror 'http://svnmirror.centos.org"..

I've really been hoping for public access to the build structure. "You
can do it yourself" is not as helpful as the kind of public access to
build structures that Dag publishes, and has been suggesting.