[CentOS-devel] Why not a fusion between CentOS and SL?

Thu Mar 24 15:47:00 UTC 2011
Jeff Johnson <n3npq at mac.com>

On Mar 24, 2011, at 11:42 AM, Dag Wieers wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Mar 2011, Lamar Owen wrote:
>
>> Or we could all still be on apt-rpm and still be having multilib and
>> related issues.  And while synaptic is still far and away the best
>> package management GUI out there bar none, the apt-rpm backend has (or
>> at least had) significant issues at that time.
>
> Hey ! There was nothing wrong with apt-rpm, I've been using it until
> November last year on CentOS-5 before I switched to RHEL6. The multi-lib
> problems were exagerated and fixed, the biggest problem was the lack of
> development after the main developer moved to Conectiva, and the second
> maintainer to Red Hat.

There's *lots* that's wrong with apt-rpm, don't start me.

Meanwhile -- now that there's an interested/active maintainer at Caixa Magica --
there's some hope of improving apt-rpm.

> But I do prefer python over C++ anytime, though speedwise it  was
> unbeatable.

FICL! OCAML! Java! Perl! Pyhon (but which, sigh)! ...

choice of implementation language increasingly fragments deployable solutions.

73 de Jeff