[CentOS-devel] Why not a fusion between CentOS and SL?

Thu Mar 24 17:57:22 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 3/24/2011 11:57 AM, James Antill wrote:

>   The known "plans" atm. are more of the "make the priorities plugin suck
> less" variety, than to add vendor/buildtime/repoid/etc. directly into
> update calculations.

Yes, but given more than 2 choices, priorities are likely transient
things over an enterprise release's lifetime and even if your favorite
2nd choice changes you aren't going to want its likely incompatible
versions to clobber the ones you've already installed.  I think you'd
see that now if you flip between epel/rpmforge's viewvc.  The code may
even be the same but the config files are different enough to break things.

The other thing I've always thought should be included in yum is an
option to ignore packages in a repository newer than a specified
timestamp.  That would let you update one machine, test everything, then
update some other set of machines to the tested state even if new
packages have been introduced to the repositories between the times in
question.  That might not cover every possible change, but it would be
better than nothing or having to build snapshot copies of entire
repositories to avoid new items.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com