[CentOS-devel] Why not a fusion between CentOS and SL?

Thu Mar 24 18:39:08 UTC 2011
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Thursday, March 24, 2011 01:52:24 pm James Antill wrote:
>  Yeh, this is the above "we change FOO.bin, but don't want to change
> FOO.src" problem. I understand, but I'm still tempted to say "don't do
> that then".

Distilling the whole mesage down to this, as this is the core issue.

I personally used the decimal release scheme when doing the PostgreSQL RPMs.  While it's been a long time ago, I think I used a 0.x release while developing and honing the packaging, and rebuilds of a release where nothing was actually changed in the spec (other than the release) got a decimal, but, like I say, it has been a long time.

But the more critical question is 'would upstream ever use a decimal release number that might conflict with mine?'