[CentOS-devel] Confusing package versioning

Jean-Marc Liger jean-marc.liger at siris.sorbonne.fr
Thu May 5 12:49:31 UTC 2011

Le 05/05/11 14:27, Karanbir Singh a écrit :
> On 05/05/2011 01:02 PM, Jean-Marc Liger wrote:
>>> by assuming that the _x and _y imply that the code is built on, you
>>> already dont know what you are talking about
>> Ok, I assume that say that _x and _y having been built on different
>> instances would have been a more correct assertion, but after saying
>> that, doesn't the difference between these two instances still remains.
> that depends on how you define 'instances'

I define 'instance' like the build environment CentOS projet take care
to reconstruct from scratch for each new release or sub-release of RHEL.
And, after reading the several posts about it, I understood that, for
binary compatibility 'soname to soname', CentOS' packages couldn't
always be self-hosted, because Upstream doesn't.

JML