[CentOS-devel] Confusing package versioning

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Thu May 5 16:11:56 UTC 2011

On Thu, 5 May 2011, Lamar Owen wrote:

> On Thursday, May 05, 2011 07:19:40 AM Dag Wieers wrote:
>> I am sorry for this. Because this mail arrived in my inbox, I was
>> confident Jean-Marc was mailing me privately. So my response is how I
>> reply privately. I did not intend to send this to the list.
>
> As much as I respect your hard work on RPMforge over the years, I must
> comment on this.
>
> If one replies differently in public than in private, it will leak
> publicly at some point, and the duplicity will be found out.  E-mails,
> once sent, are written records, and can be copied and sent around all
> over.  It is best to have the same face publicly as privately; that can
> either mean restraint in private or totally 'letting it all hang out' in
> public, as the sender of the message sees fit.
>
> Having and raising five children has taught me extraordinarily valuable
> lessons on this, especially on how 'talking behind another's back'
> always comes back around, and always creates ill will.

There's nothing wrong with what I said. Nor the content, nor the tone. I
stated the same thing publically as well, both here as elsewhere (blog,
mailinglist, ...). The "double standards" theme is probably because of "So
my response is how I reply privately." which is not what I meanted to say,
I was simply pointing out that my reply was intended privately. But
English is not my native language.

The only reason I apologised is because I don't think it should have been
sent to the list, to not aggravate others needlessly.