[CentOS-devel] Help with LiveCD for 6.0

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Tue May 24 11:13:28 UTC 2011

On 05/24/2011 02:23 AM, Jerry Amundson wrote:
>> http://qaweb.dev.centos.org/qa/node/65
> I can/will help. What is needed?

thanks for stepping up.

> I see FabianArrotin posted to the task regarding light gnome
> desktop+firefox. I can test that, and/or start a parallel LiveMedia
> with XFCE (or KDE)... My account on QAWeb is not approved, so replies
> here are better. I'll also hang out in IRC as jamundso.

A while back we did a short survey on whats the most popular things that
people download as updates from the centos machines and the result
basically boiled down to, it would be good to have :

* C6-liveDVD as a desktop environ

* C6-liveCD as a trimmed down desktop, focus on system tools, trim docs
and other excess stuff ( I guess, use the c5 livecd script for hints)

* C6-RescueLiveCD with system tools [1]

And have one of those per arch

[1] primary aim for this was that it could be deployed via USB media
and/or in a PXE environ, also this does not need a
install-from-live-media functionality. Also there might be some scope
for this RescueLiveCD to be done away from the distro as a part of the
cranberry project ( projects.centos.org ). If we are going to bring in
things that are not a part of the core distro - it would certainly need
go down that route.

In terms of deliverable: it would be a kickstart and any notes needed to
make the build happen. The actual build itself will happen inside the
CentOS Buildsys ( and for the first time, in sync with the main distro
build! )

- KB