[CentOS-devel] Help with LiveCD for 6.0

Les Mikesell

lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed May 25 12:59:22 UTC 2011

On 5/25/11 4:59 AM, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:

>>> yum works.  I'd love to see an absolutely minimal CD/USB with just the
>>> filesystem and raid tools you might need to prepare a disk/raid set and
>>> then do an install to the point where the network and yum works.
>> +1 I would really like to see a bare bones centos live 'spin' too. Then
>> I'll install the rest, either from my own internal repo, or online - that
>> would be awesome
> the netinstall iso was aimed for this purposes ever since it exists. I
> do not see the point of another iso in this context.

I've had situations where for various reasons it would have been better to get a
machine with no dvd drive running without needing network access, then after the
reboot do some more setup (mounting drives, add NICs and or drivers, etc.)
before completing the install.  Or sometimes I've had to use ssh port forwarding
to reach a proxy so yum could get to the repositories.  Or sometimes you want
someone else to do an initial step to get a remote machine to a point where you
can ssh in to complete the install (which might involve the things above) and
you want it to be as fast and simple as possible.  These things don't really
match what the netinstall iso does.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com