[CentOS-devel] Using https repository through proxy

Les Mikesell

lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed May 25 18:33:46 UTC 2011

On 5/25/2011 1:05 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:

>> In a local setup you might be able to manage with ssh port-forwarding
>> over ssh to a squid running on the server holding your repo.  That way
>> you can 'export http_proxy=http://localhost:local_port' and establish
>> the ssh connection before running yum and the network traffic to the
>> repository will be encrypted and only need port 22 open.
>>
> Vary nice solution Les.

I use it regularly myself without a local repo for machines that
(intentionally) don't have direct access to the internet or our caching
proxies where I point yum anytime there are enough machines to overcome
its tendency to pull a copy from every mirror. You also need to 'export
ftp_proxy=http://...' for the generic case where the mirrors will
include ftp urls (squid handles them equally well).

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com