[CentOS-devel] CentOS-[56] Continous Release

Les Mikesell

lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue May 31 23:33:09 UTC 2011

On 5/31/2011 5:50 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 05/31/2011 04:12 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> machines.  Personally, I'd consider that important enough to make it the
>> default, although in that case maybe they should go though the 'testing'
>> repo first and require some large-scale feedback first.
>
> It would be interesting to see what you think are the tests these
> packages should go through first. I dont disagree, and I have a list of
> my own - but it would be great to get some more opinions on this subject.

It is just hard to duplicate the whole 'real-world' in tests so no
matter what you do you may have surprises when things are deployed to a
large number of users.  To a certain extent this is a special case since
it should be identical to the upstream binaries which already have hit a
large user base, though - but there are still unpredictable things that
can go wrong.  My opinion is that it would be best to expose the initial
release as 'test' quality and let a large number of people try it in a
large number of environments - knowing that they should treat it as a test.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com