[CentOS-devel] Confusing package versioning

Wed May 4 17:06:08 UTC 2011

On 05/04/2011 06:00 PM, Ned Slider wrote:
> The issue here is a) it's different from upstream, and b) you're not
> being consistent as you rebuild some packages with the el5_6 style dist
> tag but not for others.

The only place we change that is when its a centos mod package; not
otherwise. Changing this policy for CentOS-5 at this stage does not seem
like a good idea at all.

> httpd-2.2.3-11.el5_1.3.src.rpm
> httpd-2.2.3-11.el5_2.4.src.rpm
>
> here el5_2.4>  el5_1.3

yes, but so was .el5.centos.4 > .el5.centos.3

> Is that intentional on the part of upstream? I doubt we'll ever know the
> answer to that.

it is by design, it is my understanding that the right-of %{dist} only
changes within a single point release cycle.

- KB