[CentOS-devel] Confusing package versioning

Fri May 6 12:26:00 UTC 2011
Jean-Marc Liger <jean-marc.liger at siris.sorbonne.fr>

Le 05/05/11 19:37, Karanbir Singh a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On 05/05/2011 06:20 PM, Ned Slider wrote:
>> If you were to use a dist tag of el5_6.centos, for example, rather than
>> el5.centos (where upstream uses el5_6) then:
>>
>> 1. CentOS package naming will be closer to that of upstream than it is
>> now, and
>> all of which IMHO would be a good thing given CentOS aims to track
>> upstream as closely as possible.
> yes, and we also aim to make it very clear when we change things - and
> changing the way we do that almost 50% of the way through the lifecycle
> of the release, with no-clear-problem to solve, still sounds like
> something that isnt worth doing.

Yes, as there is issue to solve, it may bring some confusion.

> Perhaps something to consider for C6, but not for C5. Lots of people
> already have established expectations on what is coming through the funnel.

But, considering the fact that modifiied el4_X and el5_Y dist naming
tags had been used by Upstream after the beginning of the CentOS
project, it should be interesting to fully integrate these changes in
CentOS 6.

JML