[CentOS-devel] Confusing package versioning

Fri May 6 17:15:02 UTC 2011
Thomas Bendler <ml at bendler-net.de>

2011/5/6 Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

> [...]

We are doing what we are doing

What a great conclusion.

> We are not changing mid stream.
> I don't care if you like it or not.

Also not really astonishing.

> Millions of users have built scripts that depend on certain rules, like
> our use of dist tags, to remain constant.

Millions of user are not able to write a script so they certainly don't have
scripts using the dist tag.

A couple of comments on a mailing list, because someone has a good idea,
> does not mean that we need to change things that cause these people to
> rewire their scripts.  It is just not going to happen mid stream.

The billions of people who use scripts which rely on the dist tag? But if
you don't want to improve the distribution let it as it is.

[...]
> What we CAN discuss is the possibility that in the NEWER distributions,
> we maybe do it differently (ie, C6).

Better would be C7, it will give the trillions of users enough time to
change there scripts which make use of the dist tag.

Regards, Thomas