[CentOS-devel] Confusing package versioning

Fri May 6 18:25:41 UTC 2011
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

On 06/05/11 18:29, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 5/6/2011 12:15 PM, Thomas Bendler wrote:
>>
>> The billions of people who use scripts which rely on the dist tag? But
>> if you don't want to improve the distribution let it as it is.
>
> Have dist tags ever been documented as having a meaning that you can
> rely on?  If not, I guess those scripts would have, as they say,
> "undocumented behavior".

Yes, it is documented that %{dist} should only be used to define the
distribution that a package was built against, and should only be used
in the Release field.

As such, the %{dist} tag as used in the Release field will be considered
by rpm (and thus yum) when doing NEVR determinations.

That is well documented and is unlikely to change.