[CentOS-devel] moving the CR repo into mainstream release

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 16:19:31 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Digimer <linux at alteeve.com> wrote:

> So long as I can do a 'yum update' and not get the next y-stream
> packages until the actual y-stream is released proper,

But you also don't get potentially critical security updates until the
full release.  That is, yum update won't give you anything.

> I am happy. In
> other words, so long as the stability of my nodes is not effected in any
> way, and compatibility with upstream also remains, I am happy. :)

What stability problems would you expect from updates beyond a point
release?  The whole point of an 'enterprise' distribution is the
effort they make to not break api's across a whole major-rev's life.
Would an upstream system break if you selectively update packages
beyond a point release without doing a full update?

> I'm ashamed to say that I neglected to do so. I saw kernel oopses while
> working on other things and didn't get back to them... I'll be sure to
> file a bug next I see it.

That's ummm, strange.  Wouldn't you be running that kernel even if the
whole release had been completed?

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com'