[CentOS-devel] moving the CR repo into mainstream release

Greg Lindahl greg at blekko.com
Sun Nov 20 04:53:42 UTC 2011

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 09:23:09PM +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 11/18/2011 07:58 PM, Greg Lindahl wrote:
> > Upstream has never tested the combination of packages available in CR.
>
> if you look at the rhn experience for most people - its actually quite
> in line with the CR/ process - as if it were just one release moving
> along with point-in-time install media being made available. Otoh, its
> been a long time since i did anything with rhn, have things changed ?

Well, my experience (and I think this is fairly typical) is that I
install all the updates soon after they arrive. So there's no way I
could end up with a 6.0+6.0updates with a single 6.1 package, which is
what CR is intended to do.

During the 5.X series, there was one time that I downgraded a package,
expat, due to a bug that took Upstream a long time to fix. One.

> Also, keep in mind that people can opt out of the process and lock their
> machines into a point release ( eg. lock into 6.1, and only move to 6.2
> when they want to ).

Yes, of course, that's what I plan on doing.

Les Mikesell brings up the reasonable question of whether version
dependencies might save the day. They probably will in most cases, but
with both Gentoo and Debian, I have discovered enough errors in those
dependencies that I don't expect Upstream to get this right,
especially when almost all of their users aren't going to try to
install a single 6.1 package on 6.0. I doubt I'll convice Les with
this argument, but there you have it. As an Enterprise user, I'm not
interested in experimenting with having most CentOS users do something
that few Upstream users do. Baaaaah. Baaaaaah (baaaad sheep imitation.)

-- greg