[CentOS-devel] moving the CR repo into mainstream release

Leon Fauster leonfauster at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 23 14:28:16 UTC 2011

Am 22.11.2011 um 23:58 schrieb Gianluca Cecchi:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 11:27 PM, Tom Sorensen wrote:
>> When 6.2 comes out (any day now) all of the rpms will be made
>> available at that time. None of the rpms are pushed into the channel
>> prior to that.
>> And unless you do some special foo in RHN your systems will pull down
>> all of those updates next time you do a "yum update" on them. Or you
>> can push them to the system from RHN. That makes it no different from
>> what happens when CentOS makes a point release.
> Yes,
> but after upstream 6.2 has been released you could also run an update
> command that is not a fully update, but something like
> yum update foo_package
> And this command will pull in what is required by rpm configuration in
> spec file for foo package + its sub-dependencies.
> So, also with upstream, you could be at a certain time, in a mixed 6.1
> + 6.2 level, no guarantee

- your scenario would end up in a 6.2 system.

- the description "mixed" misdescribes the actual process

- not all rpms will be updated in a point release.

- a virgin 6.2 installation will install (for sure) a rpm that
  also exists in a virgin 6.1 installation.

the point is - that this "mixed" combination is a valid one (validated by upstream).

if the are any dependencies - the "requires/provides" internals of the package system
will push the necessary packages.

by the way - CentOS is explicitly taking care of this linking libs and symbols and etceteras

> And for sure upstream can't test every combination of foo update that
> doesn't imply the whole 6.2 tree changes applied to your system...
> This to say that if CentOS provides an updated package in CR with all
> its dependencies we will get the same effect as we would get in
> upstream.
> If CentOS makes a package foo publicly available but forgets one of
> its dependencies (from an rpm chain point of view) you will get an
> error when you run the yum command.
> (a part from yum/rpm bugs themselves)
> Said that, I vote (if I can) for having CR optional and enabled
> manually by the user as it is now.

me too