[CentOS-devel] moving the CR repo into mainstream release

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Sat Nov 19 21:23:09 UTC 2011

On 11/18/2011 07:58 PM, Greg Lindahl wrote:
> Upstream has never tested the combination of packages available in CR.

if you look at the rhn experience for most people - its actually quite
in line with the CR/ process - as if it were just one release moving
along with point-in-time install media being made available. Otoh, its
been a long time since i did anything with rhn, have things changed ?

> It's easily possible that package A depends on package B being updated
> to avoid an obscure bug, but the CR only has A's update. Gentoo users
> are quite familiar with this issue.

if CR/ was composed of every and all updates, would that issue be
reduced to some extent ? completely removed ?

Also, keep in mind that people can opt out of the process and lock their
machines into a point release ( eg. lock into 6.1, and only move to 6.2
when they want to ). So it would still be possible for people to control
at that level. Its just that rather than this being the default, it
becomes the opt-in process.

> It is likely that many CentOS users think they aren't bothered by
> these issues, but CentOS is used in a lot of production environments,
> and I bet there will be some surprises.

Thats the thing we want to reduce.

- KB