[CentOS-devel] moving the CR repo into mainstream release

Gianluca Cecchi

gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 22:58:27 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 11:27 PM, Tom Sorensen wrote:

> When 6.2 comes out (any day now) all of the rpms will be made
> available at that time. None of the rpms are pushed into the channel
> prior to that.
>
> And unless you do some special foo in RHN your systems will pull down
> all of those updates next time you do a "yum update" on them. Or you
> can push them to the system from RHN. That makes it no different from
> what happens when CentOS makes a point release.

Yes,
but after upstream 6.2 has been released you could also run an update
command that is not a fully update, but something like

yum update foo_package

And this command will pull in what is required by rpm configuration in
spec file for foo package + its sub-dependencies.
So, also with upstream, you could be at a certain time, in a mixed 6.1
+ 6.2 level, no guarantee
And for sure upstream can't test every combination of foo update that
doesn't imply the whole 6.2 tree changes applied to your system...

This to say that if CentOS provides an updated package in CR with all
its dependencies we will get the same effect as we would get in
upstream.
If CentOS makes a package foo publicly available but forgets one of
its dependencies (from an rpm chain point of view) you will get an
error when you run the yum command.
(a part from yum/rpm bugs themselves)

Said that, I vote (if I can) for having CR optional and enabled
manually by the user as it is now.

Thanks
Gianluca