[CentOS-devel] moving the CR repo into mainstream release

Tue Nov 1 16:58:19 UTC 2011
Kevin Stange <kevin at steadfast.net>

On 11/01/2011 09:15 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> We are still in the early days of CentOS-6, and perhaps a change in
> policy at this time might be acceptable. I'd like to propose moving the
> CR repo into the mainline repos. So the change I'm proposing is :
>
> - to have a /6/ release that is always updated.
>
> - to have the /6.X/ releases that are contained to within that point release
>
> what this means is that /6/ will point at the most recent release of
> 6.X/ for the os/ & isos/ repo. The other repos would be local to the /6/
> symlink, and will be always updated ( and stay that way ).
>
> there is going to be quite a lot of implications backend / mirror side
> that we will need to work out, but its effort + pain as a one off, for
> what can be a major improvement in the user experience.

I am absolutely in favor of a "continuous release" CentOS 6 that's
permanent.  For a lot of CentOS users, I think there's no real advantage
to holding back between minor versions and this avoids the need for
users to knowingly opt-in to retain access to constant security updates.

We don't really need updated media since our kickstart files always just
pull in the updates repo (and now CR also).  Updated media as a slower
process in the background is fine with my company.

As a mirror we certainly have the space to do this.  I would hope this
can be done with hard-linking to reduce the space demands on others
where space is more of an issue.

--
Kevin Stange
Chief Technology Officer