[CentOS-devel] Release Tag

Wed Nov 23 22:10:06 UTC 2011
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 11/23/2011 01:46 PM, Marcus Moeller wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> some packages have Release Tags like:
>
> 6%{?dist}.2
>
> Has that something to do with the minor release (e.g. build for el 6.2) ?

Upstream does that if they make a change and rebuild, but want to keep
the same Name-Version-Release (N-V-R) on the file.

CentOS may also do this if we need to rebuild an upstream file because
we have to fix an issue, but we do not want to change the "Release" part
of the N-V-R (so that it matches with upstream).  We usually do not do
this, but have in occasion when we need to rebuild.

It has nothing to do with el 6.2 ... they use a "dist" of ".el6_2" when
they want to designate something for EL 6.2.