[CentOS-devel] [C6] cr/SRPMS/Packages/ empty

Tue Oct 25 17:00:09 UTC 2011
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 10/25/2011 08:14 AM, me at tdiehl.org wrote:

>>> I'm waiting for kernel-2.6.32-131.17.1.el6.src.rpm .
>>
>> We have enough ( but barely enough ) space on the mirrors for
>> 6.0/cr/SRPMS; however that would then mean that we no longer have enough
>> space to get 6.1 on there.
>>
>> So just to keep with the theme of things, what is the feeling if I were :
>> - to drop the CR/SRPMS into vault.c.o
>> - add a .repo stanza into the centos-release-cr rpm with a [sources]
>> pointing to the right place
>
> I think that is a good idea. It should not matter to anyone where the srpms are
> physically located as long as they are accessible.
>
> In addition, given that the sprms used to build most of the distro are
> unmodified from the upstream versions, do you even need to distribute
> them? Since I am not a lawyer I do not know the answer but it would seem
> to me that if you made the srpms you modify available that would be good
> enough.

You have to provide your own copies and that is clearly called out in
the GPL.  The reason is that SOMEONE ELSE might go out of business, etc.

Also, the "someone else" only needs to provide the Source to their
"customers/users" ... so in the case of Red Hat, they could, for
example, put those SRPMS as only available via an RHN account.  That
would leave CentOS users in a bad place.

This is the reason that you are responsible to provide your own source
code ... which we will.  Now, if 2 companies have a relationship ...
like Fedora and Red Hat, then one could provide the sources for both, etc.