[CentOS-devel] CentOS 5.7 has no centos-release-cr package

Xavier Bachelot xavier at bachelot.org
Thu Sep 15 10:34:55 UTC 2011

On 09/15/2011 12:18 PM, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> On 09/15/2011 12:34 PM, Marcus Moeller wrote:
>> The centos-cr repository should only be unsed during transition phase
>> from one minor to another. The package will be removed once the next
>> minor is release, and re-appear on next transition. (hope I said it
>> right, Karan :))
> This was the first approach but it was changed. The implemented approach
> is for /cr to remain in place, the repository links from the repo
> definition will point to the new URL automatically. However the
> repository will be populated only during the transition phase of a new
> minor release ( i.e for instance after RHEL 5.8 is out but before CentOS
> 5.8 is released ).
>
>> So the cr release package is not meant to be included in kickstart by
>> default.
> that is true. It is useful only during the transitional phase between
> RHEL's launch of a new dot release and CentOS catching up.

What's wrong with always having the CR repo installed and enabled ? It
might be empty outside of transition periods, but this shouldn't hurt,
right ? My understanding is there is no QA difference between a package
pushed to the updates or one pushed to the cr repo, thus base + updates
+ cr repos should stack up nicely.

Regards,
Xavier