[CentOS-devel] CentOS 5.7 has no centos-release-cr package

Kevin Stange kevin at steadfast.net
Wed Sep 28 09:45:57 UTC 2011

On 09/28/2011 04:32 AM, Xavier Bachelot wrote:
> On 09/28/2011 11:16 AM, Kevin Stange wrote:
>> This is an important repo with security patches that could otherwise be
>> months delayed.  This should not be something hidden from users.
> I certainly don't want to sabotage cr and I completely agree it is
> mandatory to close the security updates gap between point releases, and
> as such, I very much welcome the work done on this.

Glad to hear. :)

> I think at this point my preference would go to have the cr repo
> definition in the centos-release package and have it enabled by default,
> just like the regular updates repo (and actually, I would even say
> extras should not be enabled by default in order to be even closer to
> what upstream provides, but this is a different matter). I said the cr
> could be disabled by default only because some people are of the opinion
> it should be opt-in rather than opt-out, but that's another point to
> discuss. What I'd like to be cleared now is how to have the repo
> definition available, as easily as possible.

I would be very happy with that configuration, so long as it's a single
easy command (no thinking, copy and paste) for users to get the CR repo
or it's on by default.  However, I agree in principle that to stay true
to the goals of CentOS it may not be appropriate.

If it's not on by default, it should be an RPM package in a repo enabled
by default or a magic "cr enable utility" needs to be on the system by
default.  If it defaults to on, then it should be in centos-release.

Ideally, anyone who knows they want to stay behind on a previous CentOS
release (and accepts that risk) knows how to prevent upgrading and will
be able to figure out how to disable the CR as well.

Kevin Stange
Chief Technology Officer
Steadfast Networks

Phone: 312-602-2689 x203