[CentOS-devel] CentOS 5.7 has no centos-release-cr package

Kevin Stange kevin at steadfast.net
Wed Sep 28 09:45:57 UTC 2011

On 09/28/2011 04:32 AM, Xavier Bachelot wrote:
> On 09/28/2011 11:16 AM, Kevin Stange wrote:
>> This is an important repo with security patches that could otherwise be
>> months delayed.  This should not be something hidden from users.
>>
> I certainly don't want to sabotage cr and I completely agree it is
> mandatory to close the security updates gap between point releases, and
> as such, I very much welcome the work done on this.

Glad to hear. :)

> I think at this point my preference would go to have the cr repo
> definition in the centos-release package and have it enabled by default,
> just like the regular updates repo (and actually, I would even say
> extras should not be enabled by default in order to be even closer to
> what upstream provides, but this is a different matter). I said the cr
> could be disabled by default only because some people are of the opinion
> it should be opt-in rather than opt-out, but that's another point to
> discuss. What I'd like to be cleared now is how to have the repo
> definition available, as easily as possible.

I would be very happy with that configuration, so long as it's a single
easy command (no thinking, copy and paste) for users to get the CR repo
or it's on by default.  However, I agree in principle that to stay true
to the goals of CentOS it may not be appropriate.

If it's not on by default, it should be an RPM package in a repo enabled
by default or a magic "cr enable utility" needs to be on the system by
default.  If it defaults to on, then it should be in centos-release.

Ideally, anyone who knows they want to stay behind on a previous CentOS
release (and accepts that risk) knows how to prevent upgrading and will
be able to figure out how to disable the CR as well.

--
Kevin Stange
Chief Technology Officer

Phone: 312-602-2689 x203