[CentOS-devel] CentOS 5.7 has no centos-release-cr package

Ben Galliart

ben at steadfast.net
Sat Sep 17 20:24:25 UTC 2011

>From Karanbir Singh:
> Now back to the question on hand, centos-release-cr in 5.7..

> Perhaps the best place for the centos-release-cr is in the updates/
> repo, rather than the /cr/ repo, since that way it would further reduce
> the barrier for people to opt-in, a simple 'yum install
> centos-releae-cr' would get them on the track, and keep them there till
> such time as they want to opt-out.

Yes, that is the type of solution I am looking for!

> The important bit being that we keep the CR repo opt-in, and do our best
> to create awareness of this repository, what it hopes to achieve and how
> people can get it installed on their machines.

I understand the desire to keep the CR repo for opt-in.  I would like to
see it as easy as possible to perform the opt-in.  If it could be provided
as a noarch package in the update repo then it will be much easier to
instruct users to install via rpm or yum.

> Now w.r.t release version of centos-release-cr, its at 5-6.el5.centos
> since that reflects the state of CR. So you can see what condition of
> the machine is. Even if you were to install centos-release-cr today, it
> should still be 5-6.el5.centos since that was the last cr/ repo
> populated. With the first rpm release into 5.7/cr/ would come the
> centos-release-5-7.el5.centos rpm; which should get updated to everyone
> who has opted-in, and would then correctly reflect the status of the
> machine ( in that there would be a centos-release-5-7 and a
> centos-release-cr-5-7 ).

> Is this version scheme causing more confusion than its clearing out ?

If the 5.6/CR packages where based on Upstream 5.7 packages then it would
make more sense to me that it would be called 5-7.  Likewise, if the 5.7/CR
directory is planned to contain packages based on Upstream 5.8 then it would
make more sense to me that it would be called 5-8.  However, I feel this
point is nitpicking and can live with the current version system.

> Should there be a centos-release-cr-5-7.el5.centos available *NOW* in
> 5.7/cr/ and in 5.7/updates/ ?

I would like to see a centos-release-cr-5-8.el5.centos.noarch.rpm in
5.7/updates to allow users to clearly pre-opt-in now for packages based on
Upstream 5.8 when they become available.

> [1]: Maybe we got the name wrong, NextRelease might have been clearer on
> the goals and deliverables of that repo rather than ContinuousRelease.
> And be easier to spell too :)

I think now that "CR" has been used it will just create more confusion to
change it.  I personally would have picked PR (Pre-Release).