[CentOS-devel] incorrect diskboot.img in CentOS 5.7 i386 dvd iso

Mon Sep 19 10:11:22 UTC 2011
Gianluca Cecchi <gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com>

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Karanbir Singh  wrote:
> On 09/17/2011 11:07 AM, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
>> Ok, done:
>> http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=5118
>>

> we pushed a proposed replacement diskboot.img ( url'd from the bug
> report ) - would you be able to check that and make sure it ticks the box's.

I confirm that with this 18Mb diskboot I can successfully start
installation an the same thin client reported.
So it seems to solve the problem. Thanks!

Now install is running but I have a slow connection so it would take
about 5hours to complete.
I'm going to fill bug report when completed....

I noticed one possible "bug" in anaconda in 5.6 that fired me and
seems to be still present in 5.7.

If you boot from usb key, it is seen as /dev/sdb while the internal
disk is seen as /dev/sda correctly.
But by default, even if you set to ignore /dev/sdb (asked two times
during install), when it arrives at grub install it defaults to
install on MBR of sdb, so the usb key.... and if you don't take care,
at the end you get an unbootable system...
The only way I found to force /dev/sda is to go for advanced grub
option and select the tab where you say to swap drives names'....
(yet to see after my install if this works correctly).

I think the normal user could find difficult, at first to detect the
wrong automatically set /dev/sdb option for grub, and then to put
correct setup in.....
Probably anaconda should guess that if you install on /dev/sda,
probably you would like to set grub there too...
What do you think?
Or is this a bios related problem only for my particular client and
not in general????

Gianluca