[CentOS-devel] CentOS 5.7 has no centos-release-cr package

Fri Sep 23 20:49:44 UTC 2011
Kevin Stange <kevin at steadfast.net>

On 09/23/2011 03:25 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 09/22/2011 08:16 PM, Ben Galliart wrote:
>> On 09/17/2011, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>>
>>> Now back to the question on hand, centos-release-cr in 5.7..
>>
>>> Perhaps the best place for the centos-release-cr is in the updates/
>>> repo, rather than the /cr/ repo, since that way it would further reduce
>>> the barrier for people to opt-in, a simple 'yum install
>>> centos-releae-cr' would get them on the track, and keep them there till
>>> such time as they want to opt-out.
>>
>> Is there any ETA as to when this could be done or at least decided on?
>
> There is no need to upgrade anything.  If you installed the package, you
> are on CR ... then and now.
>
> The CentOS-CR repo points to /5/cr/ (which is 5.7 now and was 5.6 when
> the repo file was released).
>
> It (/cr/) is currently empty because 5.7/os and 5.7/updates contain all
> the RPMS that are required to update from 5.6 (or any other version of
> CentOS).
>
> When 5.8 is released, the RPMs that are part of 5.8 will get put into
> the /5.7/cr/ and allow people who are opted in to get the updates before
> the 5.8 release.

We already understand clearly what CR is, I don't understand why every
time we mention ideas for changes to the CR someone feels the need to
explain how it's supposed to work.

We were trying to effect a change to ensure that a fresh, clean install
of CentOS (any 5 release) could be pre-opted-in to CR before it actually
has packages in it, simply by including centos-release-cr in %packages
in our KS file (and whatever repo to pull the RPM from).

> I think maybe putting the RPM in "extras", so it is easier to install is
> doable ... but not a huge issue.

It had been suggested to put it into updates/ (by KB) but extras/ works
as well.  As long as that RPM is in a repo which is enabled by default.
 Now you can update your CR instructions to say "yum install
centos-release-cr" to opt-in instead of having them copy a URL and
manually run "rpm -i"

> In fact, I have put it there.  centos-release-cr is now in extras.
>
> You can install it from there once the mirrors sync it up.

That was the point, thank you.  Please try to make sure that the CR repo
file is placed in extras/ during the initial release of each new
revision of CentOS to avoid breaking KS files that might want to pre-opt-in.

--
Kevin Stange
Chief Technology Officer