[CentOS-devel] CentOS 5.7 has no centos-release-cr package

Wed Sep 28 09:32:11 UTC 2011
Xavier Bachelot <xavier at bachelot.org>

On 09/28/2011 11:16 AM, Kevin Stange wrote:
> On 09/28/2011 04:09 AM, Xavier Bachelot wrote:
>> On 09/28/2011 10:39 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>>> Време: 09/28/2011 10:31 AM, Xavier Bachelot пише:

>>> Base repos must reflect what upstream is publishing. Thus, any extra
>>> packages must go elswhere.
>>>
>> This package is special, as it provides only yum confs and no binaries
>> or anything else, and is needed to actually get the updates upstream is
>> publishing. To be a bit bold, this is not different than the
>> centos-release package, which is not in extras either.
>> Actually, the cr repo definition could just be added to the
>> centos-release package, possibly disabled by default.
>
> No, no, no, why do we want to sabotage CR?  Why does everyone hate it so
> much?
>
> If it's going to be in the base release file and disabled by default,
> now we make it even harder, instead of (easy) "yum install" or (less
> easy) wget into proper place, now you're saying users are going to need
> to edit files or use "yum --enablerepo" to get updates.
>
> This is an important repo with security patches that could otherwise be
> months delayed.  This should not be something hidden from users.
>
> I still think it should be opt-out, but I can accept that it is not in
> the mission to break individual release compatibility with upstream by
> default.  Let's NOT intentionally make it harder to install this,
> please, please.

I certainly don't want to sabotage cr and I completely agree it is
mandatory to close the security updates gap between point releases, and
as such, I very much welcome the work done on this.

I think at this point my preference would go to have the cr repo
definition in the centos-release package and have it enabled by default,
just like the regular updates repo (and actually, I would even say
extras should not be enabled by default in order to be even closer to
what upstream provides, but this is a different matter). I said the cr
could be disabled by default only because some people are of the opinion
it should be opt-in rather than opt-out, but that's another point to
discuss. What I'd like to be cleared now is how to have the repo
definition available, as easily as possible.

Regards,
Xavier