[CentOS-devel] How Centos compiles SRPMs from Red Hat

Hakan Koseoglu

hakan at koseoglu.org
Sat Apr 7 15:54:54 UTC 2012

On 7 April 2012 16:34, Peter Penzov <peter.penzov at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not interested in becoming a competitor in Red Hat's support businesses
> I just want open source OS certified for installation by Oracle database
> which I can custom modify. I'm not interested in any kernel code
> modification or package source code modification. I just want to build
> custom OS with just changed name and color. Maybe deployed on no more that
> 20 servers.
If you do this, your platform will not be certified by Oracle. You can
try and submit a new certification but them accepting it, in my
guess, would be an unlikely result. CentOS is not certified nor
supported by Oracle either.

In the end there is nothing stopping you to do what you have described
but I question the value. I presume the servers you have will be used
for production, not development. Especially with the Oracle licencing
costs for ~20 servers, you better have supported platforms. Using
CentOS+Oracle for development environments will mean your servers will
not be supported by Oracle but at least you will have the support of
the CentOS community for the OS. I wonder how much quicker you would
be than the CentOS guys respond to updated packages and for how long
you would be able to keep up with the service (which in both aspects
the CentOS guys are excellent).

The only Linux distributions supported by Oracle for Oracle database
are RHEL, OEL, SUSE SLES and finally Asianux. None of the other RHEL
derivatives are supported, neither Ubuntu (server or desktop variants,
TLS or non-TLS) nor openSUSE. (See Metalink ID 1304727.1).

By the way, the removing of logos etc. are to comply with trademark
rules, not GPL.