[CentOS-devel] How Centos compiles SRPMs from Red Hat

Sat Apr 7 15:54:48 UTC 2012
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

[Note: when posting replies, please take the time to trim the quoted
material (using the tag "[snip]" or points of ellipses (like I use
below) to denote where such trimming has been done).  Bottom posting
without trimming is more annoying than top-posting.  And, if I can do
it with Apple Mail on Mac OS X you can do it from your client, too.
Thank you!]

On Apr 7, 2012, at 11:34 AM, Peter Penzov wrote:
> I'm not interested in becoming a competitor in Red Hat's support
> businesses I just want open source OS certified for installation by
> Oracle database which I can custom modify. I'm not interested in any
> kernel code modification or package source code modification. I just
> want to build custom OS with just changed name and color. Maybe
> deployed on no more that 20 servers.

Hmm, while it's not CentOS you may want to look at how Scientific
Linux does 'sites' (in their terminology).  As Scientific Linux is
built from the same source RPMS as CentOS is, much of the 'sites' info
should be at least somewhat applicable.

See:http://www.scientificlinux.org/documentation/howto/create.site
(note that that's currently throwing an internal server error; they
run Plone, and Plone has apparently had an issue).

They key is to not run afoul of the CentOS trademarks, if you use a
CentOS base (if you use an SL base, their usage guidelines apply, and
they are different from the CentOS ones I'm sure).  And, as always, I
reserve the right to be wrong, and Johnny, Karanbir, or other CentOS
dev is more than welcome to correct me if need be.