[CentOS-devel] Forums

Wed Aug 8 14:40:50 UTC 2012

On 08/08/12 10:59, Yury V. Zaytsev wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-08-08 at 10:50 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>>
>> Realistically, what are the best-of forum software out there at the
>> moment ? And what are the top 10 items on the forums moderators wish
>> list at this time ?
>
> If you are looking for a more support-style software (slim,
> minimalistic, easy to use), then it's Phorum + mailing list / NNTP gate
> integration that can be easily set up.
>
> If it's more about community-type thing with stupid avatars, captions,
> rankings, etc. then you have a choice between IPB / vBulletin (paid for)
> or Simple Machines (free).

Hmm, for whatever reason serverfault type forums have always tended to
attract a lot of people and usually I've found good content/answers
there. I have used stackoverflow, serverfault and possibly 2 others all
with good results, so that may be an option. Not sure how those are
setup in terms of software and licensing though.

I have maintained vBulletin 3.x at previous $work, and it's not always
easy and straightforward to upgrade to a new version, especially when
it's a major upgrade like from 3 -> 4. It was so much hassle to organise
a group of people to test the migration that we never got around to it.
Wordpress is not a forum but when it comes to upgrades, they make it
dead simple. Their notification of new updates process is broken however
as I only find out on twitter when there is a major security issue with it.