[CentOS-devel] Forums

Trevor Hemsley trevor.hemsley at ntlworld.com
Fri Aug 10 23:51:26 UTC 2012

On 10/08/12 23:42, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 08/10/2012 11:13 PM, Yury V. Zaytsev wrote:
>> On Fri, 2012-08-10 at 22:59 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>>> I'd never heard of it before, anyone have any experience with it?
>>
>> Ideologically it's something along the lines of Phorum, but new, fancy,
>> with more features packed in and by default looks a bit more like
>> StackOverflow. It all boils down to an assessment of whether it fits
>> your requirements better than the others or not...
>>

> personally, I think lets thrash our phpbb and smf - and look at
> alternatives if we find a blocker that prevents us from using either.

I've installed SMF in a CentOS 6 VM here and have started to set it up.
It has about a million settings to tweak and some of those are not
immediately obvious to a new forum admin :-) The good news is that it
seems to coexist with selinux quite happily, the only setting I had to
change was to allow httpd to network_connect_db but that's to be
expected as the selinux boolean work_magically is still being worked on.

New board and forum set up seems to be fairly straight forward,
permissions seem a bit incomprehensible but that's probably just a
matter of getting used to what it all means. No doubt I shall make a few
cock ups on the permission front before I get the hang of what it all means.

Overall, so far, I like the look of SMF in its out-of-the-box state more
than I do the phpbb instance that KB has running. That one looks a bit
Janet-and-John to me with big fonts and, thankfully, I'm not yet *quite*
old enough to need large print books again.

Late now so I shall look again tomorrow and see what else I can see.