[CentOS-devel] please add vnconfig to minimal install CD

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Fri Aug 17 13:16:36 UTC 2012

On 08/17/2012 04:03 PM, Matthew Patton wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 07:37:25 -0400, Manuel Wolfshant
> <wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro>  wrote:
>
>>> If you want to see it added in, I am sure it can be - there is plenty of
>>> disk space left still on the minimal iso. Go ahead and open a report for
>>> this and tag it 6.4-QA
>> As I have said before, there is no need for it:
> ok, fair enough. But I've *NEVER* used the "ip add dev" command syntax.
> And I would hazard pretty much nobody else has either.
I did use it for several years. I learned about its vlan capabilities
only a couple of months ago though.

> There are a skillion shell scripts for KVM/QEMU, Xen, embedded firewalls,
> etc. that use 'vconfig' because that's how it's been done for ages.

I doubt that those people use the minimal.iso. I for one would use
(actually I DO use ) a pxe server with kickstart files adjusted as
needed. But that's just me. And if they do use the minimal.iso, I bet
that they have to add another package or two in order to fulfil the
purpose of the said server[s]. By itself a minimal install does not do
much except routing. Adding another package when needed is not that
hard, is it ?

>   Sure,
> we'd like everybody to go back and rewrite their scripts but I don't see
> that happening any time soon.

I see no reason to have people rewrite their scripts and I have no
intent to enforce that on anyone.
The only question I ask is "what did they do before the summer of 2011
when minimal.iso was launched " ?

On a more personal note, so far only two persons (that I know of ) asked
for vconfig to be put back. You over here and another person during a
casual talk in #centos-social  ( and that person was happy to learn that
ip does that job and switched to using it )