[CentOS-devel] please add vnconfig to minimal install CD

James A. Peltier

jpeltier at sfu.ca
Fri Aug 17 18:05:12 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
| On 08/17/2012 04:03 PM, Matthew Patton wrote:

| >> As I have said before, there is no need for it:
| > ok, fair enough. But I've *NEVER* used the "ip add dev" command
| > syntax.
| > And I would hazard pretty much nobody else has either.
| I did use it for several years. I learned about its vlan capabilities
| only a couple of months ago though.

Please don't hazard such a guess.  There are many of us that stay on top of the current ways of managing our systems and there are many that do not.  I've been using ip add dev for ages.

| > There are a skillion shell scripts for KVM/QEMU, Xen, embedded
| > firewalls,
| > etc. that use 'vconfig' because that's how it's been done for ages.
|
| I doubt that those people use the minimal.iso. I for one would use
| (actually I DO use ) a pxe server with kickstart files adjusted as
| needed. But that's just me. And if they do use the minimal.iso, I bet
| that they have to add another package or two in order to fulfil the
| purpose of the said server[s]. By itself a minimal install does not
| do
| much except routing. Adding another package when needed is not that
| hard, is it ?

Please point to these scripts so that they may be updated to the "new" way of doing things.  Feel free to submit patches upstream like a good community member too.

| >   Sure,
| > we'd like everybody to go back and rewrite their scripts but I
| > don't see
| > that happening any time soon.
| >
| I see no reason to have people rewrite their scripts and I have no
| intent to enforce that on anyone.
| The only question I ask is "what did they do before the summer of
| 2011
| when minimal.iso was launched " ?

I see many reasons to have people rewrite their scripts.  It's so that we can move forward with technology.  Keep up to date on the "proper" methods for doing things or just plain don't do them at all.  We need to move forward and sometimes that means breaking things.  Usually this is kept to an absolute minimum.  IMHO this is a minor break and the scripts in question should be fixed/updated.

--
James A. Peltier
Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.sfu.ca/itservices
          http://blogs.sfu.ca/people/jpeltier

Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached
in life but as by the obstacles they have overcome. - Booker T. Washington