[CentOS-devel] Interested in IA64 build.

Lamar Owen

lowen at pari.edu
Wed Aug 29 18:44:43 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 06:24:02 PM Karanbir Singh wrote:
> [rebuidling c5 on ia64] should be fairly straightforward - the yum ( mx actually ) issues
> that i ran into way back when, are also resolved now. But, is there any
> interest ?

FWIW, I now have a working mock setup on the Altix box, and have generated a few 'bootstrapping' RPMs starting with straight normal user rpmbuilds, then getting mock set up with the right local repos for bootstrapping, then getting the 'smock.pl' script running (see http://git.annexia.org/?p=fedora-mingw.git;a=tree;f=smock;hb=HEAD ) (this script was referenced in a thread a ways back; I can dig out the subject if anyone wants it), and building a couple of test cases, which worked fine.  Getting the current mock running appeared to be a troublesome thing, at first, since the python-setuptools in C5 are fairly old, and the EPEL mock (1.0.28) has a requirement that needs a newer version... then I remembered that 'noarch' means just exactly what it says, and installed the various 'noarch' dependencies, rebuilding just the pieces that needed compiled code.  Yeah, directly installing mock from EPEL-5-386's noarch works a treat, thanks to mock being pure python and purely noarch....

The first 'smock.pl' test case was a rebuild of a package I know quite well - postgresql.  Only took 7 minutes to build, including populating the buildroot, and produced the expected set of packages.  Hrmph, I remember building sets back in postgresql 7.0 days that took several hours on my build boxes back then....

So, time to feed smock a bigger set of packages, and see where I hit hangups.... and then time to do some testing.

Once I have a full tree built from the bootstrapping environment, I'll point mock at those repos and use them as the buildroot sources, and build it again.  (Does that sound reasonable for bootstrapping from a 'foreign' system (where 'foreign' just means 'can't redistribute it but it's really close to CentOS in nature....')?

Anyway, getting ready to feed the box a fuller build package set.....