[CentOS-devel] core file truncated even though ulimit is properly set

Zippy Zeppoli zippyzeppoli at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 22:46:07 UTC 2012

I am trying to read a core file from http/php.
I have set the ulimit to unlimited for the apache user in limits.conf, I
have also added ulimit -c unlimited to the user's .bashrc.

For some reason, my core files still say they are truncated. I'm not sure
why. I have debug symbols for httpd and freetds (but not php).

Here is the error:

BFD: Warning: /tmp/core.10242 is truncated: expected core file size >=
576610304, found: 11689984.
BFD: Warning: /tmp/core.10242 is truncated: expected core file size >=
576610304, found: 11689984.[New Thread 10242][New Thread 10753]Core
was generated by `/usr/sbin/httpd'.
#0  0x00002aaaac7f8b60 in ?? ()
"/tmp/core.10242" is a core file.
Please specify an executable to debug.