[CentOS-devel] Dual Layer DVD iso for 6.3 / 5.8

Tue Feb 7 13:54:55 UTC 2012

On 02/06/2012 07:40 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> - Should we consider doing CD isos as well as dual layer DVD ones ?
>
> - Should we consider only having these two media formats available via
> torrent ?

Whenever I need to install CentOS I either download just the first CD
ISO or the netinstall ISO. This means the image is small enough to be
downloaded even using home broadband for my machines, and then I can get
anything else I need using 'yum'. So for people downloading (and
concious of bandwidth usage) either the netinstall or CD would be nice.

I have used torrents sometimes in the past but usually find it more
convenient and quicker to just download the ISO. However, if you are
going to make 8 gigs of data available to download, it might be a good
idea to restrict it to torrents because the bandwidth usage will be much
more efficient. If many individual users decide to just download the
dual layer ISOs using HTTP/FTP, that's a lot of bandwidth wasted.

I don't think the CDs should be torrent-only though, but maybe it's just me.