[CentOS-devel] Dual Layer DVD iso for 6.3 / 5.8

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Feb 8 18:16:03 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, February 07, 2012 01:10:48 PM Phil Schaffner wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote on 02/07/2012 12:07 PM:
> > Would there be a way for a script to combine the two isos into one
> > with loopback mounts, a copy and rebuild?
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/CDtoDVDMedia
>
> Now tested with 6.2 DVD1/2 for x86_64.

And for i386.  I haven't had time to install from it yet.  Generated the full ISO in about 6 minutes here, both for i386 and x86_64.

With this script in a slightly more conspicuous location, there would be no need to have separate DL ISOs on any mirror, since it is so easy to make it yourself.

With a script that can split six ways from Sunday and do arbitrary sized ISOs, one would only need to distribute the 'common' single-layer DVD sized ISO pair, and the script could generate the ISO sets the user wants.

The only fly in the ointment is that the mkdvdiso.sh script does require anaconda-runtime (on EL5, the script says) or isomd5sum (on EL6).  A version that can slice into specified chunks would likely have more requires.

However, Phil, the section that attempts to detect not being an absolute path for the destination ISO is 'broken' here on C6.2 x86_64; if just an ISO name is specified I get an error:
++++++
# mkdvdiso tmpiso test.iso
DVD directory is .
ISO file is test.iso
Destinaton Directory . does not exist
++++++

I know it's actually in the code to print that out, but it's a confusing error.  Rather, using the same language about it having to be an absolute path as the error message a few lines later would be clearer.... but that's just my opinion, of course.