[CentOS-devel] What name would be acceptable for Desktop version of CentOS?

Brian Mathis

brian.mathis+centos at betteradmin.com
Fri Jan 20 17:42:34 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 12:34 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office at plnet.rs> wrote:
> Dear developers of CentOS, I plan to create/start Desktop
> version/fork/respin of CentOS, practically just to add useful packages,
> modified repository with prioritized third-party repositories, maybe few
> tweaks, and built ISO and repositories, so we are not limited to messing
> with manually adding third-party repositories and dealing with
> dependency problems. Basic repositories will remain from CentOS project.
>
> I plan to latter on ask about endorsement, maybe even hosting/mirroring
> project or even running it under the CentOS project flag. I will have to
> formulate my goals for the project and see how it resonates with you,
> developers of CentOS.
>
> For the time being, to keep the ball rolling, I have question about the
> name that you find acceptable (even in the case that I can not find
> common ground with CentOS project and it remains on the sidelines):
>
> 1. CentDOS (Community Enterprize Desktop Operating System)
> 2. DentOS  (Desktop Enterprize Operating System)
> 3. CentOS-DE (Community Enterprize Operating System - Desktop Edition)
> 4. Any new suggestion?
>
> I personally and few other people like the first name, CentDOS.
>
> --
> Ljubomir Ljubojevic

"CentOS Desktop" would be sufficiently descriptive and not overly
confusing.  We already have issues (just by nature) with confusion on
the different parallel generations (4, 5, 6).  The fact that "CentOS"
is an acronym should not be taken too seriously, as it easily stands
on it's own as a word with a brand behind it.

"CentDOS" is too close to MS-DOS, which could be taken as some sort of
free DOS replacement.

❧ Brian Mathis